I stumbled across the Sorbetto Top over on Grosgrain and wanted it to make it right away. It's a freebie by Colette Patterns so I figured it was worth a try. I pulled this blue and green print out of the stash. I've had this piece of fabric for a number of years, but hadn't done anything with it. It was something like $2.00 a yard making it perfect for a muslin. And as much as I would rather skip this step, I know I have to make the muslin. So I did.
The pattern is a pdf download (25 pages – you have been forewarned!) that you cut out and tape together. Trust me on this: trace your pattern from the taped together one. This will allow you to trace another size if you need to without having to tape those pages together again. I'm so glad I did this because, as suspected, I will be making changes for fit. I went with the size 10 which seems to be the right size for me overall. The darts are too high and I need to add about 4" to the length, but otherwise it fits. I think it would be more flattering on me if the neck line were a bit lower and more scooped. That should be easy enough to change, too.
The top came together super easily and really fast. The directions are very well written and I love the way the bias tape is applied and joined. I'll be using that trick again! I did use pre-made bias tape because I had it right there, but I think I will make my own bias tape on the next one. The pre-made I had on hand is too wide at 1/2" folded. 1/4" folded would be much better.
If I play my cards right, I might get another muslin finished this weekend. Gotta love a three day holiday! Hope you are enjoying yours.