Instead of writing three more posts, I decided to put the remaining projects I made from Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross all together. The reasons are simple: I didn't make many modifications and I am ready to talk about something else. So here you go.
The Trapeze Dress/Blouse
When I traced the pattern for this, I cut 10" off of the bottom and just followed the same hem line. Easy enough. I sewed it up in a cotton swiss dot-like fabric that I got on sale. I bought 2 yards and that was more than I needed. The sizing on this was just as true as on the summer blouse – I made a medium and it fit without any modifications. I sewed it following the directions exactly, except I skipped the pocket bit as mine is a shirt instead of a dress. After I sewed the straps between the facings, I tried on the blouse and had Fatty pin the straps in back so they would cover my bra straps. That part is definitely a two person job – get a friend to help you. After the straps were sewn, I tried it on and decided on my hem length. I cut another 2" off the bottom (making my cut pieces 12" shorter than the dress pattern) and gave the blouse a generous 1" hem. Ta da! I love it and am looking forward to wearing it lots.
Pajama Pants/Shorts for Everyone
I made the Child's L/XL for Jane and Kate. I had 3/4 yard of each print (60" wide) and that was more than enough. I traced the pattern so the inseam would be 5" before hemming. They are a quick project and go together fast. Instead, of leaving the casing opening in the front and hand sewing it shut, I left the back open, inserted the elastic and then stitched it shut with the machine. I added ric rack to the bottom for cuteness – the girls love it. The pattern states it will fit up to a 28" waist. I think that is pushing it. The finished waist measures 28", so there is no ease in that number. While they fit Kate just fine (she wears a girls' size 8), Jane (who wears a girls' size 10) can just get them over her hips. The rise is perfectly fine, though, so when I make them again, I will just add 1/4" or so to the side edges so there is a little more ease.
I am really pleased with how this project came out. I made it in about 3 hours with my regular sewing machine – no serger necessary even if you are using a knit. The knit I bought was 60" wide and is a cotton/rayon blend. I bought 2.5 yards and it shrunk down a bit so I couldn't cut the ruffle (the bottom part of the skirt) 20" long. My pieces were 16" instead and I think it's fine. I loved sewing with the elastic thread – Heather's instructions are perfect and it was super easy. I also loved that with a knit, there is no hemming. Bonus! I didn't make any modifications to the pattern pieces and sewed it all according to the written directions. I made a size M, although my hip measurement falls in the L range. It fits perfectly – the elastic thread gives it a lot of ease. I still need to make the spaghetti straps….
All right, that's it. I whipped up a skirt for Kate today and I have a finished sweater to show off. Be back soon.